Monday, July 26, 2010

Campers say the Darndest Things...

I am really loving camp this summer. It is the first time since summer of... 2002? or was it 2003? that I have truly loved every moment of this camp job...mainly b/c it isn't the camp I worked for last year... :)

I thought I would share with you some of the funny things the kiddos have been saying...

Upon getting into the van one camper announces, "guess what? I found out I'm related to Black Bear the pirate...he was my great great great.... well like 5th great grandpa."

Me: "Oh that's interesting, how did you find this out?

Boy: " The fam and I were talking about history...oh and I found out I have lots of cousins b/c he went to 13 islands and every island he went to, he married someone.

Me: "That doesn't sound very nice.

Boy: "It was okay back then b/c they didn't have any internet or phones to check up on if you were married or not.

Girl in the back: "Is this why grownups say they have an 'ex-wife or ex husband'? It stands for Extra?

Boy: "Yea, grownups have a strange way of shortening words so yes, ex-wife would mean he had extra wives.

Girl: "OHHH so he had a lot of ex-wives!"



Next story:

Boy: (upon watching another camper play his DS) "Oh I really wish I had a DS, but my parents say I can't have one.... Hey, Matthew, how did you get yours?

Matthew: "Oh, Santa brought it to me."

Boy: "Yea I forgot to put one of my list for last year...but I'm not going to forget this year.... (silent for a beat) Hey Matthew, did you know that some people say that Santa isn't real! They say it's just your parents and stuff...but I don't believe them...do you?

Matthew: "NO, I totally believe in Santa... I mean when you go and get your picture with him every year, your parents are standing right there with you...so DUH he's real...

Boy: "Yea, that's what I think too. But I suppose they could have elves dressed up as Santa's around the world to take pictures, but they're still his ambassadors."

Ok, so I have to set this next one up a bit... This next boy thinks that he is the coolest thing to walk the earth...his clothing is all name brand, not a hair is out of place...he flat out told me he was at camp for the ladies...and he's 13! So I was looking at my cell phone...and he got really excited and we started talking about cell phones... here is the conversation that followed:

Cool Boy: "I really really want the phone my friend has."
Me: "Oh yea, what phone would that be?"
Cool Boy: "The Erection"
Me: (trying not to spit out the water I had just swallowed) "The what? You mean Sony Erickson?"
Cool Boy: "No, the Erection...or at least that's what my friend called it..."
Me: "Um, hun I had to break it to you, but there is no such thing as the Erection...only Erickson...
Cool Boy: "Really? I thought it was called the Erection b/c it was a flip phone and it could stand erect...
Me: "Erection is something totally different my friend..."


There was something else that happened the other day too...but I can't remember... hope you enjoyed the 3 that have stuck with me so far for the summer. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment