Friday, February 11, 2011

Second Wind

So I got to sub half day at the school I did all my student teaching at... and there was an assembly there today where a local author came and talked about her journey to get books published.  One funny thing about having her there was that I had just looked at one of her books earlier this week at the bookstore...

She talked about her journey from being a kid and bossing her younger siblings around by making them participate in her plays.  And how she began writing them down...and eventually talking about her grandma, with whom she was very close with.  She learned a couple of lessons from her, and that was to always do your best and to keep trying.  Then she talked about growing up and getting married and having a couple of kids of her own...and how one day she was reading a book to her kids, and that inspired her to write a book and get it published...  Then she continued to talk about the struggles of getting books published- took over 30 publishers before she found one that would publish her book.. Then she got 5 published and then nothing for 7 years... by this time, her grandma was very old and has Alzheimers and started telling her about a story of her great grandmother, but as soon as she began the story, she forgot... so she began to ask around and actually found out that her great grandmother was infact an old homesteader in E. Montana in 1918s....and so she started to use that research for her new book and she wrote another story that is used all over the world... Off and on she has still gotten rejection letters for books, but now things are looking up for her..

So why am I telling you about this?  Because I have become inspired... I'm at a standing point with my book that I've been writing...and this author said, you can't revise/edit what you don't have... at least get something on paper, no matter how bad it is, or how much it doesn't make sense... then go back and fix it...b/c you will have to rewrite it several times anyways and more after someone picks it up...  So I am inspired to jump back into my writing...I've got 2, maybe 3 chapters done of a book so far... and I've been trying to decide what I want to have happen to my main character...but maybe I just need to start writing and let the character take over... and she can decide what happens to her...or I could write it both ways and see which story I like best. :)

Anywho... I am off to sing in my high school's alumni choir tonight LOL  Should be fun! :)

1 comment:

  1. I am happy to hear that your desire has been renewed. You can do it! You are amazingly talented in so many areas. I can't wait to buy your book!

    ReplyDelete